The Lewis-Mills House

The law offices of Galloway & Lyndall, LLP are located in a finely detailed Greek Revival structure, known as “The Lewis Mills House,” situated at the corner of North Hill and Tinsley Streets in downtown Griffin.  The stately home, with its massive Doric columns, was built in 1853, originally for the Lewis family from Massachusetts.   The home also served as a temporary hospital for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.  The house passed out of the Lewis and Mills families in 1936, and was owned by a succession of residents, but continued to be associated with the Mills family name.

The two storied Lewis Mills House has played an integral part of the City of Griffin’s history and it provides a fine example of the architecture of the antebellum era.  The simple geometrics of its stucco over brick exterior, as well as the details of its interior doorways, suggest the design of architect Charles B. Cluskey.  This Georgia architect also designed historic buildings in Augusta and Milledgeville, most notably, the old Governor’s Mansion in Milledgeville.

The home once housed the Griffin-Spalding County Historical Society, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.  Newton M. Galloway purchased the historic home in 2002. Following extensive renovations, Galloway & Lyndall, LLP has occupied the Lewis Mills House since May, 2003.